La grotte du Lazaret vous accueille dans le respect des mesures sanitaires et sur présentation du pass sanitaire obligatoire depuis le 9 août 2021 pour les plus de 18 ans.
Informations pratiques : pass sanitaire, port du masque obligatoire, respect des gestes barrière
The Lazaret cave : in search of our past
Filled with sediments more than seven metres thick putting its age somewhere between 190,000 and 120,000 years old, covering almost a whole glacial cycle, the Lazaret cave – property of the departmental council and listed as an historic monument in 1963 – is a prehistoric site of international scientific and cultural interest. This is an important spot for world prehistory, based on a trans-disciplinary approach to increase knowledge and understanding of:
- The emergence of the classic forms of Neanderthals (Homo neanderthalensis) on the Mediterranean coast and more generally in Europe.
- The evolution of subsistence strategies developed by prehistoric humans during glacial periods.
- The evolution of the material cultures of these prehistoric populations (typology and technology of stone tools during the transition between the Lower and Middle Palaeolithic).
- The evolution of social behaviour (cognition) in the ancient settlements of Southern Europe.
- The evolution of palaeobiodiversity (fauna and flora), climates, environments and the dynamics of interactions between prehistoric humans and their habitat on the Mediterranean coast throughout a glacial cycle.
33 bis boulevard Franck Pilatte, 06300 Nice, France
Plan your visit
Grotte du Lazaret opening hours (summer 2019, until September 30):
- Monday: closed
- Tuesday: closed
- Wednesday: 10 a.m.– 6 p.m.
- Thursday: 10 a.m.– 6 p.m.
- Friday: 10 a.m.–6 p.m.
- Saturday: 10 a.m.–6 p.m.
- Sunday: 10 a.m.–6 p.m.
From midday to 2 p.m. admission is free for all visitors.
Guided tours at 11 a.m., 2 p.m. and 4 p.m.
3 EUR per adult, 1.5 EUR for seniors (60 years old), children (16 years old), students and groups (10 people)
Grotte du Lazaret closed:
- January 1, 2019
- May 1, 2019
- December 25, 2019